Monday, July 16, 2012

Four Corners-Better than Crazyhorse

 Four Corners-- (You had me at $3 admission)

Driving from Mesa Verde to the Grand Canyon we stopped at Four Corners, a monument of sorts on Indian land depicting the geographic point where Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado meet. I am aware that I called this Indian land, but the entire time we have been out West, this is the only name I have heard them call themselves, other than a specific tribal identification. So, anyway, we pull onto the Navajo land where Four Corners is located and at the very rustic gate I see a sign that says that the Navajo Nation does not believe in cremation which I thought was an odd thing to put on a sign that has prices for admission to the Four Corners. Then I realized that people must request to have their ashes sprinkled in Four Corners after they are cremated. Then it made sense.

Ok, so I immediately liked Four Corners Monument when admission was only $3 per person. Off on the right foot I was excited to see what was there. The monument itself has a bronze marker and several vantage points from which to see the marker and take pictures, which is what everyone wants to do.

There were so many goofy tourists taking pictures of family in different positions. You have the "I can stand in four states at once" pose.


Then you have the "I'm Patrick the Starfish" pose.



And finally the "Family of Four in Four Different States" pose.

Or family of three in three of the four states.


As you can see in the photos, there are booths on every side/in every state of Four Corners. In each booth a local Navajo sells his/her merchandise. Many of the booths have jewelry with the ladies making it as they sell. I met a very nice Navajo woman who struck up a conversation with me. She, unlike most Navajos, is a Christian and explained to me about the difference between traditional Navajo beliefs and Christianity. It was very interesting, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I ended up spending quite a bit of money there, but I didn't mind it at all. I was glad to do it. I loved the jewelry that I bought; I enjoyed the conversation, and I was pleased by the monument. I'm glad we stopped at Four Corners and I was able to see a very modest and dignified monument without feeling guilty about the cost and my inheirent duty to pay for it.


1 comment:

  1. Where's the picture of the boys high fiving in different states? Or you two kissing?

    ReplyDelete